THE DESIGNS ARE IMPLEMENTED AND THE WINDOWS INSTALLED

The final design using C P Allix’s cuttings and texts was implemented by Thomas Figgis Curtis of Ward & Hughes, Ecclesiastical Stained Glass Manufacturers, 67 Frith Street, London, and the stone work was by Messer G Maile & Sons Ltd. Members of Swaffham Prior parish contributed £40 to pay for the second War window, Squire Allix paid for the other two windows himself; the stone cross and memorial brasses cost another £56 – a total cost equivalent to over £5,000 today.

The service of dedication at 2.30pm on 21 December 1919 invited “Soldiers and Sailors and demobilised men”, and suggested “Flowers may be placed at the foot of the cross” as part of the service. Mr C C Ambrose unveiled the cross, the list of the names of the fallen was read and “the last post was sounded from the Rood loft by the buglers”.